Here comes the new BlackBerry Priv – an Android smartphone that will hopefully compete with the Samsung Galaxy S6 series. BlackBerry Priv is a superb and lovely design smartphone but will you be convinced to buy one?
BlackBerry Priv is more than just another enterprise handset, it’s the first BlackBerry smartphone to run a proper version of Android and the manufacturer is banking on it to lure customers back to the popular BlackBerry brand.
In keeping with the brand’s tradition, it’s got a physical QWERTY keyboard, which is a rarity on Android these days, and with a slide-out design, you can keep it hidden when you’d rather stick with a touchscreen.
BlackBerry Priv specs at a glance
BlackBerry Priv is the most exciting BlackBerry phone in years. It is BlackBerry’s first Android smartphone and BlackBerry lovers will get the features they have come to expect with the full ecosystem of Android, as it comes with some impressive high-end specs.
Android users will also gain enhanced privacy and productivity from BlackBerry on their familiar OS and app experience.
PRIV brings the best of BlackBerry’s prized features to Android. Its slim design includes a 5.4-inch dual-curved Corning® Gorilla® Glass 4 screen. Now, you have both options on one device: a best-in-class physical QWERTY keyboard that slides out from under the display or a touch-screen keyboard.
- Multitouch, AMOLED capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors
- Size: 5.4 inches (~71.9% screen-to-body ratio)
- Resolution: 1440 x 2560 pixels (~540 ppi pixel density)
- Protection: Corning Gorilla Glass 4, Curved edge screen
- Powered by Android OS, v5.1.1 (Lollipop)
- Qualcomm MSM8992 Snapdragon 808 Chipset
- Dual-core 1.8 GHz Cortex-A57 & quad-core 1.44 GHz Cortex-A53
- Adreno 418 GPU
- 3GB RAM and 32GB internal memory
- Also has a microSD card slot for up to 200 GB
- 18 MP rear camera, 1440 x 2560 pixels, Schneider-Kreuznach optics, optical image stabilization, phase detection autofocus, dual-LED (dual tone) flash
- Features include Geo-tagging, touch focus, face detection, HDR, panorama
- Video capture 2160p@30fps, 1080p@60fps, HDR
- 2 MP front camera @ 720p, HDR
- GSM / HSPA / LTE, 2G, 3G, 4G
- Speed: HSPA 42.2/5.76 Mbps, LTE Cat6 300/50 Mbps
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, Wi-Fi Direct, hotspot
- Bluetooth: v4.1, A2DP, EDR, LE
- GPS: Yes, with A-GPS, GLONASS/ Beidou (market dependant)
- NFC: Yes
- Radio: No
- USB: microUSB v2.0 (SlimPort 4K)
- Dimensions: 147 x 77.2 x 9.4 mm (5.79 x 3.04 x 0.37 in)
- Weight: 192 g (6.77 oz)
- SIM CARD: Nano-SIM
- Sensors: Accelerometer, altimeter, gyro, ToF proximity, compass
- Messaging: SMS, MMS, Email, Push Email, IM, BBM
- Browser: HTML5
- Java: No
- Li-Ion 3410 mAh battery
BlackBerry Priv features
BlackBerry Priv offers NFC connectivity file-sharing or shopping with Android Pay, and there’s a single micro USB 2.0 connector at the bottom that’s SlimPort enabled — with the right adapters, you can get HDMI, DVI, and DisplayPort connectivity, as well as pipe out 4K video at 30 frames per second.
PRIV has BlackBerry’s legendary battery life and the exclusive new DTEK™ warning system app. You can easily monitor the security level of your phone and know what apps access your microphone, location, camera, and other personal information.
Be confident that your privacy is under control and protecting you from malware and malicious tampering. Below are other Priv features we think can convince you to buy one.
#1). BlackBerry Priv is a smart gadget
PRIV is not just a smartphone, it’s a smart gadget stylishly and perfectly designed for a balance of practicality and productivity. Simply put, BlackBerry Priv is built to get the job done.
The physical keyboard is really advanced and carefully crafted to make accurate typing easy. While the slide mechanism ensures the phone still fits in your pocket. And it’s all put together while keeping PRIV slim and good-looking.
The Priv also has a curved display. That huge, crisp screen has a gentle curve on each side. Like Samsung’s curved displays that lets you store app shortcuts, serve up notifications, or keep tabs on missed calls, the Priv’s curved sides host a fairly mundane productivity app and a neat little battery status indicator when you’re charging.
This creates a space for handy shortcuts – just slide out from the right-hand curve and you’ll get your upcoming calendar entries. There’s also quick access to your to-do list, contacts and more so you can do things more quickly.
#2). BlackBerry meets Android
BlackBerry Priv is an impressive smartphone designed with Blackberry technology and powered by Android. PRIV™ is BlackBerry’s first Android phone and if you are familiar with BlackBerry phones, you will notice that there are some neat BlackBerry features laid on top of Lollipop in this Priv.
That means you get BlackBerry’s best productivity features, like BlackBerry Hub and Blend, and supreme security, plus access to around 1.5 million Android apps. Not only do you get more apps than ever, Android also gives you the flexibility to personalize everything about your PRIV.
Best of Android apps
- Best Abs Workout Apps For Android To Download
- Best And Most Popular Fitness Apps For Android Smartphones And Tablets
- Best Android Video Player Apps You Can Download
#3). Better design, efficient battery
The BlackBerry Priv comes with a 5.4-inch screen, which is brilliant whether you want to see every detail of your favourite movie or have the space to edit documents on the move.
With a Quad HD resolution, you can see ultra-fine detail in everything you do. Plus colours are vibrant and blacks are deep, making everything look perfectly realistic.
An impressive 3,410 mAh battery keeps the BlackBerry Priv going, assuring it will be by your side whenever you need it. An innovative six-core processor gives PRIV impressive performance.
There are two high-powered cores for when you want to run your most powerful apps and games, and four low-powered cores to keep things running in the background without draining the battery. That efficient processor means the huge battery can last up to two days between charging.
#4). Better camera for photo and video
It’s not just the huge 18MP sensor that makes the camera on PRIV™ great, it also has professional lenses. The BlackBerry Priv features a professional-like rear camera. These let in more light and give sharper focus, making your photos look like they were taken with a proper camera.
And when you want to record a home movie, PRIV™ shoots in 4K Ultra HD (that’s four times sharper than Full HD) and has optical image stabilization to keep things looking smooth.